Sunday, January 06, 2013

Movie Ad of the Week: WHIRLPOOL w/ WAKE UP AND DIE (1970)


This double dose of Euro shock from Jerry Gross' Cinemation Industries hit New York theaters on December 9, 1970. WHIRLPOOL is a Danish production from Spanish director José Ramón Larraz, starring Karl Lanchbury, Vivian Neves and Pia Andersson. The MPAA gave it an X rating.

The co-feature at 14 theaters was Carlo Lizzani's SVEGLIATI E UCCIDI (1966), based on the life of Italian criminal Luciano Lutring, starring Robert Hoffmann (as Lutring) and Gian Maria Volonté. It was originally released in the U.S. by Rizzoli in 1967, on a double bill with the spaghetti western KILL OR BE KILLED. Cinemation also released it as I KILL FOR KICKS.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I finally saw a poor-quality video release of WHIRLPOOL, I was amazed that it drew an X rating. I didn't see anything in it that was harder than R standards. Maybe that print was missing something? I think I got it from Luminous Film and Video Wurks, which I think is long-defunct now.

Stephen Grimes said...

I recently got sent a telecine version of the Italian print of WHIRLPOOL (on screen title PERVERSION FLASH) which i intend to compare against the English version very soon.